There may not have been as many pantomimes as usual this season, but there were some cracking shows and brilliant innovation in the shows that made it to the stage. One of my favourite things about pantomime is seeing how different producers use songs in interesting ways. Here’s my round up of the 5 best songs I heard in pantomimes this year.
- Good Day by New Hope Club (From Early Man) – This up tempo track makes a great opening number for a pantomime.
- Together We’ll Be OK by Cannon and Ball – Following the sad passing of Bobby Ball this year, several producers decided to pay tribute to the great comedy pairing with their hit song from back in the day.
- Overwhelmed by Royal & the Serpent – A viral song from Tik Tok, this is a fun number which holds plenty of opportunity for great choreography.
- Savage Love (Laxed – Siren Beat) by Jawsh 685 & Jason Derulo – Another viral hit, this one’s tune is instantly recognisable and has lots of fun possibilities for use in a panto.
- Think About Things by Daði Freyr – A big hit from lockdown 1.0, this dance is great because anyone can do it. I saw a brilliant family edition of this song replicated in a couple of pantos!
So there you have it – some song inspiration as we head into the new year. If you heard some brilliant uses of songs in pantos this season, I’d love to hear them! You can tell me about them via email.