Dick Whittington Pantomime Script
Dick, a simple country lad, sets off for London town with his trusty cat Tommy in search of bright lights (and bushy tails!). Join Sarah the Cook (owner of the Big Buns Bakery), Idle Jack and a host of colourful comedy characters as they sail the seven seas and bid to rid London of the plague of rats.
Dick, a simple country lad, seeks his fortune in London where he’s heard the streets are paved with gold. Setting off for the city with his trusty cat Tommy in search of bright lights (and bushy tails!).
But London has a royal rat infestation and Mayor Fitzwarren needs help. With a little help from the Spirit of the Bells, and a sprinkle of luck, Dick has the chance to prove himself and save his reputation.
Join Sarah the Cook (owner of the Big Buns Bakery), Idle Jack and a host of colourful comedy characters as they sail the seven seas and bid to rid London of the plague of rats.
Approx 2 hours + interval depending on the length/number of songs you choose.
Free Reading Copy
Order your free reading copy to receive a .PDF download of the full script. Please note this is a read-only copy and cannot be used for rehearsal or performance without a valid license.
Apply for a License
Apply for a license to perform this script here. Don’t forget to let me know if you’d like my help in adapting the script to be the perfect fit for your cast, venue and production team.
1 Male, 2 Female, 5 Non Gender Specific, 15 Supporting Roles + Chorus
(Indicated genders are guidelines for casting. Many roles could be played by actors of any gender. Oh yes they could!)
- Dick Whittington (M/F) A poor boy seeking his fortune
- Sarah the Cook (M) A bakery owner in London town
- Tommy the Cat (M/F) Dick’s trusty sidekick
- Alice Fitzwarren (F) Daughter of a shop keeper
- Idle Jack (M/F) Sarah’s son. A sandwich short of a picnic
- Alderman/Captain/Emperor Fitzwarren (M/F) A triple part, Alice’s father and uncles
- Queen/King Rat (M/F) The dirty, dastardly baddie
- Spirit of the Bells (F) London’s good fairy
Supporting Roles (M/F)
- William (M) Londoner, Market Trader
- Victoria (F) Londoner, Market Trader
- Edward (M) Londoner, Market Trader
- Elizabeth (F) Londoner, Market Trader
- Robby Rat (M/F) One of Queen/King Rat’s henchmen
- Roxy Rat (M/F) One of Queen/King Rat’s henchmen
- Ricky Rat (M/F) One of Queen/King Rat’s henchmen
- Rita Rat (M/F) One of Queen/King Rat’s henchmen
- Sailors 1 to 6 (M/F) The ships crew, under Captain Fitzwarren
- Scary Shark (M/F) The monster who’s ‘behind you’
- Residents of London
- Ships crew
- Servants of the palace
4 Full Scenes, 5 Front Cloths/Curtain Scenes
Prologue The Valley of the Kings
Scene 1: Ancient Peking
Scene 2: An Alleyway in Peking
Scene 3: The Lost-Sock Laundrette
Scene 4: An Alleyway in Peking
Scene 5: The Gardens of the Palace
Scene 6: A Mountain Path
Scene 7: The Cave of Wonders
Scene 1: The Gardens of the Palace
Scene 2: The Royal Dungeons
Scene 3: The Magic Carpet Ride
Scene 4: The Valley of the Kings
Scene 5: Abanaza’s Pyramid
Scene 6: Song Sheet
Scene 7: Finale
JACK Hello gang!
SARAH Jack stop messing around, we need to bake quickly to replace the buns that Tommy stole.
JACK Give me a second Mum, I’ve just got back from delivering a present to my girlfriend. She needed cheering up.
SARAH Oh dear, what’s wrong with her?
JACK She’s got hay fever and diabetes.
SARAH That’s awful Jack. Very good of you to take a present over. What did you buy her?
JACK Flowers and a box of chocolates.
SARAH Oh Jack, you are funny.
JACK Very strange, on the way home I barely saw anyone, except for a couple of ice creams, a chocolate gateaux and a coconut cream pie.
SARAH A coconut cream pie?
JACK The streets were desserted.
SARAH Come on Jack, we need to bake these buns.
JACK Right, I’ll get the recipe book.
SARAH You start, I’ll follow.
JACK You fart, I’ll swallow.
SARAH Here we go then.